Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The Best Frosting Ever


 I came across this recipe while watching one of my favorite food bloggers (The Pioneer Woman) on Food Network.  I was a little unsure considering I have never heard of 'flour' as being one of the ingredients.  I am so glad I gave it a try, it is utterly delicious.  So light and creamy, literally the best I have ever tasted.  I am more of a whipped frosting at heart so needless to say I was in heaven.  I have altered it a couple of times for different recipes.  Once adding 1/2 cup of peanut butter for a peanut butter frosting and another time adding cinnamon.  I could easily take a spoon and eat it right out of the bowl.  Indulge!






(adapted slightly from Pioneer Woman’s, “The Best Frosting I’ve Ever Had”)

INGREDIENTS

5 Tablespoons flour
½ cup milk
½ cup heavy cream
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar (not powdered sugar)

In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and cream, stirring constantly until it thickens.  You will want it to be very thick, thicker than cake mix more like brownie mix.  Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.  It must be completely cool before you use it.  Stir in vanilla

While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter, sugar and peanut butter until light and fluffy.  Then add the cooled flour mixture and beat the living daylights out of it.  If it looks separated, you haven’t beaten it enough.  Beat until it all combines and resembles whipped cream.

Grab a spoon and taste this wonderful goodness.  If there is any left after your taste test, spread on your favorite cake or pipe onto your favorite cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment