Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Banana Jacked Bread


In celebration of the cooler weather we are having, I was eager to get back into the kitchen (because I wanted to not because I had too).  As I was trying to decide what I was going to bake I couldn’t help but notice the poor VERY ripe bananas, the kind of ripe that would only last another day or two.  So I pulled out my BIG book of printed off recipes and looked at the ones that I have saved on my laptop.  I was leaning towards banana bread, but remembered how I was slightly disappointed the last time I made it.  It was just missing something.

 Not being able to decide on one particular recipe, I decided to take the plunge and attempt to create my own.  On a scratch piece of paper I started jotting down what I wanted and how much.  Needless to say I was unsure going into this and was pretty sure I would be making a trip to the trash can. 

After combining most of the ingredients I almost forgot the most important one…my friend Jack.  How can I invite this yummy bread to my little celebration and not offer it a shot or two…you know one for me, one for you, one for me, one for you.. you get the idea.   So in the oven it went (I think) and I crossed every part of me that I could, in hopes that I wouldn’t open the door to a banana monster.  The timer went off, I slowly opened the door and was beyond excited.   I had actually created something that didn’t cook over, wasn’t flat as a pancake and actually was moist and tasted pretty darn good.  Now in the past I was never a big ‘nut’ fan when it came to banana bread, so I decided to make some with the nut topping and some without.  I have to secretly admit I LOVE the one with the nuts.  The combinations of flavors were insanely delicious to me.  So I hope that you have as much fun making this as I did.  And remember if you don’t like the booze and/or nuts, just leave them out.  Indulge!




 
For the Bread:

2 cups + 4 tbsp flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 ½ cups sugar
½ cups butter
½ cups vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
5 ripe bananas mashed
4 tbsp buttermilk
2 tbsp sour cream
¼ cups Bourbon

For the Bourbon Walnut Topping:

¼ cup butter
2 tbsp water
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup bourbon
1 cup chopped walnuts (or any nut of your choice)

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan (or 5-6 mini loafs in which I used).

Sift together dry ingredients and set aside. On medium speed, beat the sugar, butter and oil to combine.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each until combined.  Add the mashed bananas, vanilla, buttermilk, sour cream and bourbon; beat to combine.  Add the flour mixture and beat until incorporated.

Spread batter into the prepared pans.  Bake until a thin knife inserted in the center comes out almost clean, about 60 minutes for the large loaf pan and 30-40 minutes for the mini pans.

To make the topping, combine butter, water and sugar in a sauce pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and add bourbon.  Return to heat and simmer until it reaches a honey consistency.  Remove from heat and add walnuts.  Set aside and cover to keep warm.

Cool bread on a rack for 5 minutes.  Using a skewer, poke holes all over the top of the loaf and then spoon the topping over it.  


And for those who are not fans of nuts….just make the glaze without them.


No comments:

Post a Comment