Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fried Ravioli

I have been wanting to try this recipe ever since I came across it.  I wanted to incorporate a new appetizer in and thought this would be perfect, even the kids would dig it.  I adapted it from Giada De Laurentiis recipe, the only thing I changed was the sauce.  I didn't have marinara on hand, so I took a jar of my favorite pasta sauce and through it in the blender along with some parmesan cheese and red chili flakes for an added richness and spice.  I'm so glad I nibbled on a couple before serving, I am pretty sure the kids swallowed them whole, they were gone so fast. Indulge!



Ingredients
Olive oil, for frying
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs
1 pkg of store bought cheese ravioli (I used mini raviolis); preferably fresh, but frozen can be used too.
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
1 jar of marinara sauce (I used my favorite pasta sauce and through it in the blender with a little bit of Parmesan cheese and a dash of red chili flakes for added spice), heated for dipping.

Directions
Pour enough olive oil into a large pan to reach a depth of 2 inches.  Heat oil until thermometer registers 325 degrees F.
While the oil is heating, put the buttermilk and the bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls.  Working in batches, dip ravioli in buttermilk and then dredge in the bread crumbs.  Place the ravioli on a baking sheet, and continue with the remaining ravioli.
When the oil is hot, fry the ravioli in batches, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain.
Sprinkle the fried ravioli with Parmesan and serve with a bowl of warmed marinara sauce for dipping.


No comments:

Post a Comment