Sunday, January 15, 2012

Roasted Chicken and Spinach Manicotti

This dish is probably the one I am most proud of.   Not quite 20 years ago (that would make me 9.. right?), I saw a recipe in a little book I had bought at the grocery store.  I was having friends over and really wanted to make something they would enjoy, I had only dabbled in the kitchen and was so unsure of the outcome.  Surprisingly enough they loved it.  Over the years I have tweaked and tweaked on the recipe and changed it to my own liking.  Little did I know that this very recipe would lead me to my love of cooking.  Indulge!




Ingredients

1 rotisserie chicken (I usually just use the chicken breast, finely chopped)
4 cups fresh spinach (or 10 oz frozen, thaw and drain well before adding)
1 small onion diced
4 garlic cloves minced (I love garlic and will tend to throw a few more in, but depending on your taste you can use more or less)
16 oz container of Ricotta Cheese
½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 jar of your favorite Pasta sauce (I personally love Bertolli’s Organic Olive oil, Basil and Garlic)
Béchamel Sauce (recipe follows)
12 manicotti shells (cook as directed)
Fresh oregano and basil chopped
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Italian seasonings
Salt
White pepper
Olive oil
Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Drizzle olive oil in sauté pan on medium heat.  Sauté onion until transparent, about 8 to 10 minutes, then add garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.  Add spinach (if using fresh allow to cook down).  Season with salt, Italian seasonings and red pepper flakes.  Set aside and cool slightly.
In a mixing bowl add cheeses, egg and blend together.  Season with salt, white pepper, Italian seasonings and nutmeg.
Combine Chicken and cheese mixtures.  Proceed to make Béchamel sauce.
In a 13x9 dish ladle about 1 cup of pasta the sauce to cover bottom.  Fill manicotti shells with mixture and assemble in dish.  Pour béchamel sauce over shells and top with pasta sauce.  Add fresh chopped oregano and basil and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly and lightly golden.

Béchamel Sauce

¼ cup butter
¼ cup flour
1 cup milk
1cup heavy cream
Salt
White pepper
Nutmeg

Directions
In a 2 quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Always stirring, gradually add milk and cream, continue to whisk until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Simmer until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. This will take approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg and season with salt and white pepper. Set aside.


No comments:

Post a Comment